The St Francis Xavier Cathedral was designed by Monsignor Hawes (Priest and Architect), who arrived in Geraldton as a parish priest in 1915 - the building is generally regarded as one of his finest works.

The foundation stone was laid in 1916.

In 1938 Alf, (David Crothers father) and Preston Crothers were engaged by Monsignor Hawes to complete the original Dome roof, and in doing so, finally complete the works to the Cathedral.

Proudly from 2015, Crothers was engaged to complete the following three stages of the refurbishment of the Cathedral precinct which included the construction of the new Monsignor Hawes Heritage Centre, followed by the internal and external refurbishment of the cathedral as well as extensive external works and landscaping to the site.